What's the purpose of update_hostname plugin in addition to set_hostname plugin?

Hi all,

I'm using cloud-init with ec2 datasource in OpenStack environment. I wonder
why do we need update_hostname plugin? I have read the code and it seems
that it will update hostname when the one from datasource changed, but in
my environment metadata will not change anymore.

If I convert an VM with cloud-init installed to an image and build another
VM, the new one will get a diffrent instance id, so all the plugins
including set_hostname plugin will run again. The problem is not here,
isn't it?

BTW, is it okay to remove users section from cloud.cfg since another user
has been created manually and I don't want cloud-init to create another
user or change password.

Thanks,
Jin