DNS name resolution not working

Hello.

I've installed Amazon Linux 2 in a VMware Workstation VM as described in
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/amazon-linux-2-virtual-machine.html
.

After starting up the VM I'm able to login as ec2-user, but the system is
unable to resolve any DNS names.  There is absolutely nothing in
"/etc/resolv.conf".

I've tried manually adding nameservers to that file and restarting the
network service, still not resolving DNS names.

Also tried adding "DNS1=8.8.8.8" and "DNS2=8.8.4.4" to the "ifcfg-eth0" and
restarting the network service, but no love there either.

I've tried to understand cloud-init but I'm not getting anywhere with it.

So, questions are:

1) Can this be fixed after-the-fact on the current VM, and if so, how?

2) If I have to recreate the VM, what do I have to do differently?

Thanks.

--
Larry Menard
"Defender of Geese and of All Things Natural"

Follow ups