Re: Bundling x64 and x86 binaries in the same library package?

On 4/16/2010 9:59 AM, Garrett Serack wrote:
> For Library packages (static and dynamic) I’m wondering if we shouldn’t
> just put both variants in the same package—still installing the WinSxS
> binaries appropriately, and putting the .lib files in the correct spot.
>
> This would actually conserve disk-space, since the x64 and x86 versions
> of the packages could share include & doc directories, and we could use
> symlinks for that.

Don't go there.

This is the source of most OS/X pain; the fact that Apple has stacked the
single unified binaries.  Many open source include files simply don't and
can't cope with this, and many patches that would enable this on OS/X are
rejected out of hand because the model is broken with respect to particular
open source projects :)