From: coapp-developers-bounces+garretts=microsoft.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:coapp-developers-bounces+garretts=microsoft.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of William A. Rowe Jr.
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2010 8:38 AM
To: coapp-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Coapp-developers] Bundling x64 and x86 binaries in the same library package?

On 4/16/2010 9:59 AM, Garrett Serack wrote:
> For Library packages (static and dynamic) I’m wondering if we
> shouldn’t just put both variants in the same package—still installing
> the WinSxS binaries appropriately, and putting the .lib files in the correct spot.
>
> This would actually conserve disk-space, since the x64 and x86
> versions of the packages could share include & doc directories, and we
> could use symlinks for that.

Don't go there.

This is the source of most OS/X pain; the fact that Apple has stacked the single unified binaries.  Many open source include files simply don't and can't cope with this, and many patches that would enable this on OS/X are rejected out of hand because the model is broken with respect to particular open source projects :)