From: Rafael Rivera [mailto:rafael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:50 PM
To: Garrett Serack
Subject: Re: [Coapp-developers] Portable application deployment

As a short-term workaround, someone could in theory install a CoApp package administratively (msiexec /a INSTALLDIR=X:\).

/rafael

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Garrett Serack <garretts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:garretts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
Not really. Well--maybe--but not in the way you think, and likely this won't happen for a bit.

Portable applications rely on a total lack of shared libraries; rather the complete autonomous packaging of everything needed to accomplish a particular task, and without installing anything.

CoApp on the other hand, is focused around packaging MSIs (kindof the antithesis of portable, eh) and providing a reliable and serviceable method for handling dependencies.

Now, that being said, It's certainly *possible* to transform a CoApp packaged app & it's libraries into one that doesn't do that, but you lose everything that makes CoApp valuable; well, with the exception that you still get an app out the other end.

Truthfully, I'd probably consider spending time about a year from now building a tool to build a portable app from a package feed, but not any time soon.

Garrett Serack | Open Source Software Developer | Microsoft Corporation
I don't make the software you use; I make the software you use better on Windows.