Re: What packages do you want to see?

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Trent Nelson <trent@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > I remember how much trouble I had trying to get the out-of-the-
>> box Windows builds of BerkeleyDB and TclTk to work with
>> Python.  BerkeleyDB was using the most esoteric compiler and
>> linker flags that I've ever come across, and the resulting binary,
>> especially in 64-bit builds, just flat out wasn't suitable for
>> linking against.  I mean, it would link, 'cause the API was
>> compatible at the source level, but you'd get the strangest
>> crashes as soon as you attempted to call anything in that
>> library.  TclTk wasn't much better -- and SQLite was problematic
>> too, now that I think of it.
>>
>> What is the reason for those weird flags?
>
> I couldn't find any technical reason behind the weird flags.  I just put it down to Windows unfamiliarity, or lack of Windows-savvy developers on the projects.

Then it's likely those projects are willing to change their flags.

I think it's also caused by the lack of proper make/project formats/files.
The input should be something you can write by hand, without needing
copy/paste. It should only contain the bare minimum.
.vcproj files contain way more than that and nobody is writing them by hand.
--
Olaf