From: coapp-developers-bounces+garretts=microsoft.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:coapp-developers-bounces+garretts=microsoft.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ted Bullock
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2010 7:42 PM
To: coapp-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Coapp-developers] Code?

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 8:25 PM, Jonathan Ben-Joseph <jbenjos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is because C truly is the least common denominator when it comes
> to language binding, almost every mainstream language can call
> directly into C shared libraries without much of any boilerplate code
> (see P/Invoke in .NET or ctypes in Python for example).

Yes this is precisely why.  Also, we want to be able to bundle it into packages so that if someone chooses to install a package outside of the standard tools (administrative installs for example), CoApp will be there and be able to get all the dependencies.

> But isn't (at least) the first revision of the engine core being
> written in C#/.NET? At this point it seems highly likely that the GUI
> frontend will be written in C# using the Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF).

Yes, this is true.  The first version will be a C# prototype so that we can rapidly change it to figure out the specifics of the APIs.  In parallel, we are working on the libcoapp C library which will take over when things settle down a bit.

--
Ted Bullock <tbullock@xxxxxxxxxxx>