Re: use of static libs permitted?

On 10/1/10 10:44 AM, Eric Schultz wrote:
Lee,

I think that one of the main reasons open source software often uses static
libraries, especially on Windows, is that it gets around a lot of the
dependency issues. You don't have to worry about dynamically loading a
strange version of a dependency library if you never dynamically load
libraries. CoApp intends to solve this problem so I think developers should
choose to release non-statically bound libraries whenever possible and
hopefully they will.

Agreed, Dynamic libs are awesome. (I like having my program split into multiple binaries, that increase attack vectors and slow down load time. DLL Hell is heaven! :-)

But, having CoApp prevent the use of static libs would be terrible.

I was trying to clarify that both existing ways can be used, that's all.

Agreed, the "whenever possible" part is key. If you said "not possible", then CoApp would be limiting things, and that'd be bad.