context team mailing list archive

Re: One more arch (OS X, snow leopard)

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 09:03, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>> 2.) This is for Taco: I would be grateful if we could have a switch
>> similar to --ppc in luatex building script for:
>>     a) -arch ppc
>>     b) -arch i386
>>     c) -arch x86_64
>> doing exactly the same thing as -ppc switch, just having a different
>> argument for arch. I would leave it up to you to name it (maybe
>> exactly the same way: -arch=ppc or -macarch=ppc) and I do not care
>> about backward compatibility of the way to call the script.
>
> No problem at all to add that, but I am not very good in shell script
> programming so a patch would be very welcome.

I can send you the patch, no problem, just one question for you before
I continue. The weird thing is that:
- I'm able to compile binaries for ppc
- I'm not able to run them
- ("uname" says the system is "i386", but generates "x86_64" binaries,
but let's just ignore that fact for a moment ...)

I should probably be able to run the ppc binaries by installing
additional software (I didn't try that yet). However, if there exists
some not-too-complicated way for cross-compilation, that would be
great since it would

By crosscompilation I mean:
- if I use "gcc hello.c -o hello -arch ppc" this works perfectly well
(it compiles, works on old ppc-s, but I'm not able to execute it)
- metapost, luatex, pdftex, ... use some intermediate commands (like
tangle maybe) that cannot be executed if they are built for ppc

Since I know that you are cross-compiling for windows already: what's
your estimate about complexity of cross-compilation on Mac? Where
should I start looking?

If it is too complicated, I'll just install the software, but I'm
ready to invest a bit into "less-dependencies" and consequently having
a slightly bigger set of volunteers that would be able to compile when
I'm away.

Mojca

PS: thumbs up for the FreeBSD maintainers for the fastest response!