Re: Questions

Jussi Pakkanen wrote:
2. JussiP, can you add to the site section like RoadMap or TODO?

The roadmap is basically "enable and make available to Unix command
line client everything that the Windows version had". And TODO is
"whatever is still missing from roadmap". :)

One thing I would like to see happen is for someone to backport the
current version to Windows using MinGW. I don't have a Windows machine
so I can't do it myself.
I have 2 windows copies around (one - 64bit vista, comes with my HP notebook and in fact was never used ;)), and another XP 32 bit as secondary OS on my desktop (I did some commercial software for win32 before). I already have mingw and other developer tools on my windows machine, so I will be able to compile this port for win32 later. Also, AFAIK, mingw allow cross platform building, so you may use mingw/linux port to build win32 binaries. Also i`m 99% sure that result should work with wine (most of my small windows software successfully tested, wine did a great progress last time), so even testing under free OS like linux or FreeBSD is not a real problem. But for now, as for me, more important task is to make cuneiform more stable and really cross platform (e.g. to do something with this font detection algorithm, which try to use win32 api and fail, make rtf output more correct,...,...)
Table recognition is a very hard problem. Coding it from scratch can
take months or even years.

Cognitive people are hoping to get their implementation released this
year. Once they do, I'll merge it to the Linux version.

Yes, and also it require very deep understanding about processes inside current kernel and, of course, deep knowledge of OCR principles and algorithms at all. And I`m not the right person to implement this ;)

My plans is also to create simple command line sane backend (but for now I have no scanner) with recognition directly from scanner and saving result to some multipage format. I had such task some years ago, but there were no free cuneiform and it was a quit problematic to do in UNIX.