Re: Patch to build in MSVC++ 6 and pack mode in cuneiform-cli

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Dmitry Polevoy
<openocr.polevoy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can you give some more information about problem with output file
> /dev/stdout?

Writing to file /dev/stdout on Unix machines causes the output to
appear on the console. Your patch seems to append the file output type
to the input filename. Thus it tries to create a new file called
/dev/stdout.txt. This does not work, because the /dev directory is
read-only. I think that we should follow the common behaviour of
command line programs:

If the user specifies an output file name on the command line, that is
precisely the file we write to. No exceptions. Even if the extension
is wrong or missing. The user may very well have a valid reason for
this.

The main problem with pack mode is that its behaviour should be done
using the shell. Unfortunately Windows' standard shell is garbage and
this makes adding the pack mode tempting. I really don't have a good,
maintainable solution for this. Is it possible to achieve your goal
using a simple .BAT file?