Re: Origin of Cuneiform data files

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Dmitry Polevoy
<openocr.polevoy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I try to find extra info about dat-files, but I can't do it fast (these
> files very old and have long history).

I guess the main question Debian people have is whether the data files
are expected to change in the future. If they are just used, all is
fine. But if they are changed and rebuilt for new releases then they
might be considered "binaries" rather than "source" and Debian is very
strict about having the source.

> As about cuneiform package we should change package name to 'openocr'
> because of Cognitive have some problems with american comercial 'Cuneiform'
> trademark and so on.

This is fine by me. I'll keep this Launchpad instance running until
the transition and leave a forwarding message after that.

> I am novice in xNix packages, rpm and so on and I have some questions:
> - what dirs are preferable for runtime, library (static), datafiles, user
> files and so on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

Basically

/usr/bin executables
/etc configuration files (Cuneiform currently does not have these)
/usr/lib shared libraries
/usr/share/<progname> data files

> - what structure should have xNix package

In practice CMake does 90% of the work already. The final 10% is
distro/package specific and done by the package maintainer. For the
details you can read distos' packaging guides.

> - I found some problem with library names in
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=496264, what do you think
> about it

I wouldn't worry. They say they have a fix for that already.