Re: Visual C++ support has been dropped

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 6:52 PM, Dmitry Polevoy
<openocr.polevoy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In attach some patch for cfio to build in MS VC 2008 (I make no check for
> other compilers).
>
> But I've found broken project cpage build in MS VC.

Thanks. I've been thinking what to do with this for a while now. The
basic problem with the refactoring branch is that we get further and
further from the original code, merging new stuff becomes more and
more difficult. One such example is the table recognition code that
was discussed years ago. Will Cognitive release it? Can we get it
working?

Another problem is that the rf-branch is very Windows-hostile and
makes some architectural changes that I don't feel totally comfortable
with. The merging also takes a lot of time because of missing files,
commits that have been done without testing and so on. As an example
the newest merge has been waiting a long time because I get
segfaults/double frees and tracking them is extremely time consuming.

I have even been thinking of removing the latest merge (the one with
the namespace changes that broke MSVC) and just going from there.
Before that I would like comments from everyone. What would you like
to see happen? What should not be done?