Re: patient_dataelement Vs routine_dataelement

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Ola Hodne Titlestad <olati@xxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Hi Abyot,
>
> If you read my summary e-mails just before the skype conference you will
> see that my suggestion was NOT to have a different type of data element, and
> I understood from the skype chat that we agreed on the same.

Yes we agreed on the skype chat - but things do not fit smothly when it
comes to actual coding. Actually I was looking into the document prepared by
you. The number one task is "to represent patient data elements and add/edit
GUI"

> What we talked about was to possibly make a separation in the user
> interface to avoid confusing the users, but in the background use the same
> DataElement object, but I am not sure that will always be needed as there
> are lot of overlap between routine and CHIS data elements.
>
> As you say, if we want to easily reuse datasets and data entry forms
> functionality we need to use the DataElement object also for client data
> elements. And of course we want to reuse what Murid has implemented
> regarding option lists for pre-defined values for data elements.
>
> The separation comes in DataValue as the PatientDataValue will need other
> properties than the (routine) DataValue.

Yes I agree. But, I think, this will not require us to have a specific
dataelement different from what we have currently.

> And we also talked about the need to extend the DataSet object to include
> more properties that makes datasets more flexible and dynamic as we need
> them for CIS and also for survey data.

Yes we have talked about that. That is not my question, I am not yet into
this.

> So here I guess we all agree, there is no need to come up with a separate
> PatientDataElement.

That is also my bet!! And I am planning to reuse as many objects as possible
from the existing code.

But you didn't comment on my suggestion - differentiating the dataelements
using an attribute called "classification" and right now we have two
classification. Routine and Patient. What do you think?

Thank you
Abyot.