Re: OpenMRS integration

2009/8/5 Bob Jolliffe <bobjolliffe@xxxxxxxxx>

> Thanks Lars.  I will take responsibility for putting together and
> implementing a plan of action for this.  This will have to include absorbing
> the learning from the various integration efforts which have happened -
> there is the work Abyot has done, there is work Phumzile and others have
> done on the OpenMRS side, there is an existing (untouched for two years)
> DHIS "connector" module for openmrs and there is the most recent effort from
> Murod.  Alongside there have been developments in the availability of xml
> interchange standards which can impact positively or negatively on the work.
>

> Also there are opportunities to interoperate with other software (such as
> iHRIS HR package and no doubt others in the future) so it is important to
> not treat each as a new design program, but rather expose and document a
> standard process for getting data in and out of DHIS2.
>
> The first step will be to identify the right forum for communication with
> the relevant people from across projects.  I'm interested in people's
> thoughts on this.

Hi,

First of all, glad to see Bob taking this forward, it really needs a firm
push to get beyond the typical meeting discussions we've had so many of over
the last 1-2 years.

When it comes to forum for cross-project collaboration I would like to
recommend the recently launched TGHIN.org platform. This would fit well with
the intentions behind that site. TGHIN already has a large user community
from different projects and country implementations, which could benefit
discussions and provide a broader view on things. TGHIN is built on Drupal
and we can influence functionality there if more modules are needed. For now
there is a forum site where we can post and log discussions. Mail
notification is also in place. A chat module is soon released which can help
communication as well.

If we need a new mailing list we can of course set up another google group
or similar.

I already mentioned in Goa that I will invest some of my time time on this
collaboration and similar collaborations among FOSS communities involved
with HIS. I will help to document ongoing activities among the major HIS
FOSS projects such as HISP, OpenMRS and Capacity project (iHRIS), and help
to identify possible collaboration projects.

I think the Cape Town meeting will be an important start and provide the
necessary push for DHIS and OpenMRS collaboration.

I'll be more active on email when I get back from leave in about 10 days.

Ola
------