Re: Community-based system

2009/9/22 Bob Jolliffe <bobjolliffe@xxxxxxxxx>

> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  Its a very rich set of comments grounded
> in use cases which I will have to read over several times to fully
> appreciate.  Just a few quick thoughts off the cuff:
>
> I think Abyot's model as it stands allows for multiple identifiers which is
> good.  There should be some way in which the issuing authority of the
> identifier is held.  I am guessing this is what the intent of the sourceid
> field is.  I suppose it is a real likliehood is that a patient presents with
> a crumpled piece of paper with a file number or something from a particular
> facility.  In this case we must not only record the number but also the
> issuing "authority".  In fact one might also need to have (yet another)
> table of "identifier_type" as there might be a wide variety of identifier
> types recorded.  I suppose people come with what they have and we should be
> flexible enough to record that.
>
> On addresses, two suggestions.  Firstly I think the patient_address should
> better be called just "address".  An address is just an address after all.
> That a patient might have one is a good thing, but other persons or entities
> might have one too (see also below).  Otherwise I like the way it currently
> stands whereby you might have multiple addresses for a patient but one
> preferred.  This probably reflects reality - I think I prefer it to your
> patient attribute proposal.  On the other hand I can also see the value in
> having a more general attribute table where arbitrary tags and values might
> be captured for a patient (starts to look a bit like rdf/a metadata).
>
> Regarding duplication, you are right that the address seems to be
> duplicated between household and patient_address.  I would suggest stripping
> the address stuff from household and simply make a link from household to
> address.  So in the same way a patient has an address, so too a household
> has an address.  And pursuing the logic other things (like orgunit for
> example) might also eventually make use of the address table as well.
>
> All I have time for for now.  Keep up the good work.  And nice to see the
> diagram - what tool did you use to produce that?

Bob, thanks for the valueable input.

John, have a look at this model diagram, I think what you say is missing /
wrong is actually in place:

http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.1&thid=123cd0e47a40a6b5&mt=application%2Fpdf&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail.google.com%2Fmail%2F%3Fui%3D2%26ik%3Db4dafba814%26view%3Datt%26th%3D123cd0e47a40a6b5%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dattd%26realattid%3Df_fzqvtrhg0%26zw&sig=AHBy-hb-G-lRemar2JW3IbAOpio-xzw9PA

Lars