Re: On categories and dimensions and zooks

OK.  I've reached the conclusion that the model can and probably should be
simplified, but it is really far too much work for what I have time for
now.  The categoryoptioncombo is already deeply ingrained in many parts of
the system.  So don't hold your breath.

I'm going back to focus on my much simpler problem of exploding
categorycombooptions into dimensions and vice versa.

For querying, I can see the API needs methods added to return datavalues by
arbitrary collections of category rather than just fixed
categoryoptioncombos.  These only exist for the purpose of data collection.
I suspect that this is what Ola needs to create more flexible reporttables.
Then when configuring the reporttable you would freely select the dimensions
you were interested in.  This is of course do-able - I can see it - but my
little brain is struggling with the complexity.

Looking at a two stage process it is a matter of getting the collection of
categorycombooptionids which intersect with the given set of categories and
then passing that collection to the existing API method which returns
collections of  datavalues which match particular categorycombooptionids.

In principle if we can expose the required methods in the API then it might
be possible at some time in the future to revamp the underlying table
structure without disturbing the API.

Two final thoughts:
1.  if we are bound to the model whereby categoryoptions are free standing
entitities (ie many to many relation with categories) then, for the purpose
of import/export we are obliged to uniquely identify these as well.  So I
will have to reluctantly also put uuids on categoryoptions.  After
discussing with Abyot last night, I can see that there is some value in
having them the way they are, but we will have to live with the complexity.
What you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabouts.

2.  Indicators are not multidimensional.  Why is this?  Was it a conscious
decision resulting from earlier discussion or is it just that we haven't got
there yet?

Regards
Bob