Re: How do we treat ready-made indicators?

To fully delve into the topic of how we should handle indicators (both the
ones we calculate from datavalues and estimates from elsewhere), I include
below a list of desirable features for indicator systems developed by CDC.
As you will see, DHIS 2 currently fits many (most?) of the criteria, but
there are some glaring gaps, including (A) the ability to associate
indicators with funding sources or budget lines; (B) target values for
indicators; and (C) categories (e.g. sex, age) as a fully-implemented
feature (rather than repeating the indicator for each category value),
similar to how we handle geography.

I have created blueprints for some of the missing features:

1. Ability to accept manually entered data
2. Ability to define custom forms for manual data entry
3. Ability to accept data exported from an electronic data system or perform
an extraction therefrom
4. Support for the following types of indicators: count, ratio, %,
population rate, $, national currency, yes/no/unknown
5. Hierarchical indicator definition via inheritance or import at
(minimally) international, national and local level
6. Indicator frequency: day, week, month, quarter, semester, annual (and
aggregates thereof)
7. Ability to aggregate indicators by donor, government agency, partner,
sub-partner, funding source, activity type, program area
8. Ability to disaggregate indicators by geography (nested), age group
(nested), sex, direct/indirect
9. Ability to define additional aggregation/disaggregation categories
10. Multi-lingual
11. Role-based security with dimensions of job function, geography and
organizational affiliation
12. Versioning of data (knowledge of latest date an element of an aggregate
was updated), release status (preliminary, validated, released, corrected)
13. Tools for defining/generating reports, graphs (including longitudinal),
maps, pivot tables and combinations thereof, and permitting their being
saved as files
14. Suppression of small counts in output, "smudging" of geography to
prevent identification of individuals
15. Data interchange (especially via IXF3)
16. Target, revised target and actual data (provides budget capability)
17. Audit trail
18. Flexibility to respond to changing reporting requirements of donors,
countries and others
19. Extensibility to other diseases and conditions
20. Extensibility to changing scenarios
21. Hierarchical control or import of code sets and data tables
22. Hierarchical control or import of forms and reports
23. Ability to maintain facility-level data for multiple facilities on a
single machine
24. Simple maintenance and management at the facility level
25. Highly responsive data entry, moderately reponsive report generation
26. System monitoring reports (timeliness, completeness)
27. Ability to store and forward text or attachments as identified items
(narrative reporting)
28. Ability to add adjustments to indicator values and their justifications
at each hierarchical level and to specify their allocation among
disaggregation categories
29. Database neutrality
30. Reliable, ongoing customer support, including training, software and
documentation updates, etc.