Re: Do we need unique names for category options across categories?

Yes Abyot!  I found myself backtracking a bit in your direction in my mail
of 9 Nov, reporting back from sdmx connectathon:

"2.  There was an interesting revelation for me (somehow I had not
understood it completely before) around the way SDMX HD deals with the issue
of selecting valid dimensionOptions for a dimension.  It bears some
resemblance to both what Abyot had originally implemented
(categoryoptionsfor a particular category selected from a super set of
all available
categoryoptions) and the subsequent refinements discussed on the Zooks mail
thread.  What is proposed in SDMX HD is that dimensionOptions should
implement a concept.  For each concept there is a list of all possible code
values.  Particular dimensions would implement a subset of dimensionOptions
selected from that list.  For example:

codelist representing the AGE concept:
{<1, >1, 0 to 5, 0 to 16, >16, <40, .... } etc

A particular dimension, eg STI_AGE_GROUP might then contain the subset:
{0-16, >16}

This is an interesting twist on what we do and does seem to have some
merit.  It addresses Abyot's concern that we might want to reuse category
options as well as my concern that we shouldn't mix apples with oranges.  I
think we are all a bit fatigued looking at datamodel refinements (I'm sure
particulalrly Lars!) but this is something we might want to consider.  So
far as supporting SDMX HD we will at a minimum probably have to implement a
concept field to the categor/categoryoption (and Group/GroupSet) objects.
The constraint to apply would be that categories of a particular
conceptshould contain
categoryoptions of the same concept. "

This hybrid approach seems to capture the best aspects of both ways of
looking at category options.  Obviously people were a bit fatigued because
this didn't elicit any response :-)  For the moment I am hoping that we can
get away with just relaxing the uniqueness constraint.

Regards
Bob