Re: Greetings + new DHIS patient module

2010/3/4 Lars Helge Øverland <larshelge@xxxxxxxxx>:

> 2010/3/4 Bob Jolliffe <bobjolliffe@xxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> I agree depending on the uniqueness of names is not a good idea.  I
>> saw John said that facilities in India do have codes - the 16 digit
>> ones which are built hierarchicly (is that a word?).
>
> OK I wasn't aware of this code.. Certainly if we could generate a string
> based on the orgunit code plus its ancestors it will be unique. How does one
> generate a fixed-length alphanumeric string based on this sequence of names
> btw?

I'm thinking that we just generate the local part.  The facility codes
already exist.  So in Db you would have fields for patient id and
issuing-facility. I think it is common to store the issuing authority
with an id anyway.  In most cases the issuing-facility might be null
because it could be assumed.  If a patient is moved into the db from
somewhere else, or if patients are combined from different facilities
for one of many reasons, then the facility code would need to be
populated to avoid clashes.  This bears some resemblance I think to
the uuid disambiguation referred to by Saptarshi.

Regards
Bob