Re: DHIS and logistics management (Was: Re: New requirement from Sri Lanka)

Dear Thuy

> Dear Johan,
> Thank you for your suggestions. Please scroll down to see my mail

> on this. That's why I consult you to know what will happen in the future
> when data base become huge if we use category options like this for data
> elements? Is it affecting to retrieving information later?

I don't know too much about this, but think Knut sums it up. The only
obvious place that I see where this can cause problems is in pivot tables.
Since pivot tables usually are distributed to also those not too familiar
with the database setup, this can be confusing.

>> Second, regarding the parent/child/grandchild totals, I think it should
>> be
>> possible to set aggregation start levels, meaning you could use the same
>> data element definitions for all levels without running into
>> double/triple
>> counting. But others would need to fill in about this.
>>

> I don't understand much about this. Please give more suggestions.

Here also I'm not 100% sure, but if you go to edit data element, you will
find the Aggregation Level check box, which if checked will produce a
drop-down list of all the levels you can aggregate data from. From the
manual:

"Aggregation levels: The Aggregation Levels option allows the data element
to be aggregated at one or more
levels. When the user clicks on the Aggregation levels option, a drop down
menu appears which displays available
aggregation levels. The desired aggregation level is then selected by
clicking the ‘Add Selected’ button. By default,
the aggregation will start at the lowest assigned organisation unit."

I'm not sure if this adequately explains the funcionality. Others would
need to help here, but I *think* this is working by setting the levels
that will use "it's own" data rather than aggregate from below. Default
only the lowest level is selected, and all higher levels will use data
from that level. For example, if you have three levels; Facility,
District, National, the last two levels will by default aggregate the data
from Facility. If you select District as aggregation level, queries on
Facility will use Facility data, District will use District Data, and
National will aggregate District data. So in the Sri Lanka case, you can
have one data element that you can use for all levels, just set it to have
all aggregation levels. But not 100% sure about this, so good if someone
can confirm. Also not sure aggregation level is the best name, I vaguely
remember some discussion about this.

Regards,
Johan