Re: Conflicts merging databases

On 19 August 2011 13:49, Ola Hodne Titlestad <olati@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2011/8/19 Bob Jolliffe <bobjolliffe@xxxxxxxxx>
>>
>> Yes I've seen this on a number of databases as well - causing trouble
>> with mydatamart.  Do you think we should "discourage" this workaround
>> by trimming on save?  I can understand the frustration that might have
>> lead people to do this, but it is better to use Male_ or _Male or the
>> like than just adding whitespace.
>>

> Good idea to trim on save, I support that.

Well there would be quite a few fields to trim and a few places to do
it.  It could be done at javascript level, but probably better in the
model.  Eg changing AbstractIdentifiableObject.java setter to:

public void setName( String name )
    {
        this.name = name.trim();
    }

Would catch a whole lot of critical objects.  Something similar on
"code" for orgunits would fix up a bundle of apparent mismatches with
the master facility list as well.  Some of the others (shortname et
al) are less critical and could be done progressively.

Very easy to do, but my worry is that given that there appears to be
quite a few installations who have been using this "workaround" (as
well as accidental copy-n-pastes) it could create some unexpected
grief.  On the other hand, nipping it in the bud now is probably the
right thing to do.

Maybe we would need a transitional startup task to replace existing
offending leading/trailing whitespace with '_'?