Re: [Dhis2-users] Incorporating complex formulas into indicators and validations

Hi Larua,

As Greg says, DHIS2 is fairly limited when it comes to performing these
types of complex operations in indicators. There are a number of different
approaches, but one which I have used fairly often is to perform the type
of operation Greg mentions to calculate some indicator values, or perhaps
some intermediate values which then need to be processed. This data can
then be passed to something like R or Python (or really what have you) to
perform perhaps additional calculations, and then inject this back into the
system (via the API as a new data element) which can be processed by DHIS2.

Your case is not one I have heard of before so I think you would have to
write some custom code to accomplish this. Likely, what I would do would be
to implemnent this logic as an SQL function and then import the processed
value back into the system as a new data element (which would never be
entered directly, but rather simply calculated by your custom code).

Its not ideal and can be rather brittle, but with a generic piece of
software like DHIS2, it can be tough to support all of these special
requirements which may exist.

Another option which you may want to consider, if it is an option, is the
use of the "Exclusive pair" operator which we recently added. In your case,
it would seem to be somewhat problematic if you have all three data
elements. It seems "A" has priority, but what happens if "B" is "better"
somehow? It would seem to be more efficient and increase data quality if
you only ever had A, B or C and not all three of them, unless of course
these are somehow used in different calculations. Anyway, just maybe
something to consider. And of course, obviously, it is currently not
possible to look at relationships between a facility and a sub-facility in
a validation rule, so that's a bit of a limitation.
sta
Although not directly related to this case, here
<https://github.com/dhis2/datim-dedupe/tree/master/sql/app>is an example of
a procedural SQL function which is used for a DHIS2 app, and shows some of
the concepts which are described in the user manual
<http://dhis2.github.io/dhis2-docs/2.21/en/developer/html/ch01s25.html> in
regards to using paramaterized SQL views/functions with DHIS2. This might
help to get you started.

Regards,
Jason