Re: [Dhis2-devs] DHIS2 with R

On 27 May 2010 11:15, Jason Pickering <jason.p.pickering@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Bob,
>
> Yes, I suspect that most R users would probably want to do things
> their own way. It has a rather steep learning curve. :)
>
> As for canned R scripts, the best way would probably with with PL/R, a
> procedural Postgresql language which utilizes R.
>
> http://www.joeconway.com/plr/doc/index.html
>
> I have done some very basic testing and it seems to work just fine on
> the server side.

Swings and roundabouts to a certain extent.  The main thing is that
the r scripts are evaluated using the r c library.  If they were
invoked from within java/dhis then I guess data access would be slower
than from pl/r (we'd need to have a way to get the data to the r
interpreter), but number crunching would be similar and would also
work with mysql and friends.  Not sure which of these are bigger
problems in typical/possible scenarios.