Re: From 'District' to 'Decentralized' and 'Software' to 'System'

Hi,

adding my two cents..

I'm all for people calling it whatever they want in particular settings, and there are many examples of that, at least applied to the _system_ as a whole.

As for the piece of software, called DHIS, the name stands for District Health Information Software, because it is (just) software and not a system. This piece of software may perfectly well be used for a (distributed, or district, or anything else) Health Information System, like DHIMS in Ghana, or DHIS (S for System) in Sierra Leone.

I think it would be confusing to start using different names for the _software_, also since DHIS is an established name by its own, shared across the community. The easiest would be to just call it DHIS, which also works well serving food security data in Bangladesh and a regional demographic and health observatory for West Africa, or the global health observatory at WHO. Since we all agree that there is a big difference between system and software, I suggest we keep calling the software software, and system system.

Regards
Johan