Re: How to structure information?

Hi Marta,
I would be interested to hear what others say, but I think there are
two possibilities.

1) Use category combinations with three categories
a) IPD/OPD
b) All possible levels (Chrirurgie, Maternité, etc). Some of these
will overlap  IPD - Maternité and  OPD - Maternité, while others will
never be used from the looks of your list (i.e. IPD - SMI-GYN )
c) Gender. Again, some of these will never be used (IPD -
Maternité-Male) for example.

Problem with this approach is that
1 )you will have many category option combos which will never be used, and
2) Altering category combos can be very tricky. There are a number of
long-standing bugs when it comes to adding new category options, and
them not being available. There are ways around this, but it requires
use of the Web API /or database to manually create the new category
option combos, which are not created in spite of adding new category
options.

Advantages with this approach obviously are that you would only need a
few data elements to represent all possible combinations, but only a
few of those operands you would actually ever enter data for.

Second approach obviously is to use many different data elements, with
as you say ,only gender as a single category combo. I might prefer
this approach.

Third approach would be as you say to dis-aggregate the orgunits. This
will really complicate potentially the orgunit hierarchy as you note.
We have observed a pretty severe penalty on performance (with the
datamart operations) as the number of orgunits increases by
potentially an order of magnitude or more, if you separate out all of
the different service levels. It also complicates the data entry a
bit, although this could potentially be solved with the use of the new
multi-orgunit data entry forms. I think it also complicates the
analysis a bit because it is simple with the pivot tables to slice out
particular data element operands. It can also be done with orgunit
groups sets however as well.

I would probably tend to go with the second option, namely use of the
simple category option combo with multiple data elements for a single
orgunit. It is not a big deal to create many data elements,
particularly if you can automate their creation by use of the WebAPI.

Regards
Jason

--
Jason P. Pickering