Re: How to structure information?

Hi,
We have a similar situation in Health Institution Performance and Facility
Information System (healthnet.health.gov.lk). Case is to 1. collect and
compare information from different units (surgical unit 1, Surgical unit 3)
at health institution level (some hospitals have about 80 different units
)and to
2. Compare information from different health institutions at regional
level.
3. Additionally number of admissions collected under male, female and under
12 groups.

Refer the attached screen shot.

In that every column is a data element.
Every row is a category option.

Reasons for selection this approach

1. When a caregory combination used (type of ward and type of admission) it
created many useless combinations like medical officer in surgical unit 1
who are female. (do not know how to avoid this).

2. When type of admission is used as a category option, cannot filter the
number of admissions without creating an indicator for each unit (surgical
unit 1) at the health institution level comparison.

3. Selected approach balance the two (I guess :))
a. without creating cumbersome indicators unit comparison is possible at
 Hospital level and regional level.
b. one indicator can filter total number of admissions at the institution
level
c. System is not too complex to manage (one data element is having limited
number of options)

Does anyone think this as a reasonable approach ?