Re: Maps of outbreaks

Hi Alvin

On Saturday, 15 February 2014 7:19 PM, Jim Grace <jimgrace@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Knut,

It sounds to me like a natural for an app (as you mentioned). If we had "Start date" and "End date" in a YEARLY dataset, that might preclude two outbreaks (by any other name) for the same year and same organisation unit, so that might not be the best method for data entry. (And outbreaks that span the new year would still have to be entered twice.)

Interesting idea about entering through time on the same form. I wonder what that would look like. Would the periods be columns? Given that we already use columns for disaggregations, that might make the form too wide -- so maybe the periods would be rows. I wonder how the number of periods would be determined -- perhaps specify the number in the form design (or in the data set for an automatically-generated form), or maybe specify a longer period type and show all periods within the longer duration.

Most of all I wonder what other use cases there might be for entry over multiple time periods. Is this worth building in, or is it best done by an app? It seems like a good idea to develop apps for a lot of specialized requirements, and maybe even some common ones. How much have we developed our philosophy about when to put things in apps and when in the core product?

Cheers,
Jim

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 3:42 AM, Alvin B. Marcelo <alvin.marcelo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

+1 on Inception (in the context of the movie)....It may seem amusing but to some extent the term is appropriate...
>Yes, i too agree with 'Inception', surprisingly its not that much amusing as 'Dimension'.
>:-)
>
>BRajesh
>

>Sent from my BB Curve 9320
>________________________________
>
>From:  Brajesh Murari <brajesh.murari@xxxxxxxxx>
>Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 16:30:30 +0800 (SGT)
>To: alvin.marcelo@xxxxxxxxx<alvin.marcelo@xxxxxxxxx>; Knut Staring<knutst@xxxxxxxxx>; Dhis2-users<dhis2-users-bounces+alvin.marcelo=gmail.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; dhis2-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<dhis2-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>ReplyTo:  Brajesh Murari <brajesh.murari@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [Dhis2-users] Maps of outbreaks
>

>Hi,
>
>There are some synonyms for 'outbreak' are given below
>

>explosion, blast, eruption, outburst, detonation, blowup, outburst, plosion, advent, repullulation, commence, inception, initiation, inchoation, eruption, insurgency,
>

>I think "Insurgency" or 'Inception' would be nice to use for 'outbreak' in context of DHIS2.
>

>Regards
>Brajesh Murari
>

>On Saturday, 15 February 2014 1:25 PM, Alvin B. Marcelo <alvin.marcelo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>I'm not sure if I got the 3Cs correctly. Pls google too...
>

>Sent from my BB Curve 9320

 'outbreak'.

>First, better not to call it an 'outbreak'. Health officials are very sensitive about the term. We can gain their confidence if we don't "presume" an outbreak by labeling it as such on the interface.
>
>Second, we missed this 'outbreak' in Metro Manila (of all places!) because the health workers waited for official lab confirmation (which takes 3 weeks in this part of the world). The health workers forgot to execute the protocol that if the 3Cs are present (colds, cohryza, conjunctivitis) they should suspect measles and immediately vaccinate the surrounding children.
>
>Lesson: if any child comes in with any one of the 3Cs, the information system should alert them for the other 2Cs. The 3Cs will be reported upwards and it will be a syndromic report and not an outbreak report.
>
>The first syndromes (in retrospect) started coming in as early as August but it was only December when the trend became evident (due to the lack
 of near-real time reporting and health worker forgetting the protocol).