Maps of outbreaks

Dear DHIS2 community, looking for good ideas for a use case which is a bit
unusual.

We'd like to map epidemic outbreaks, and the data are very simple: Outbreak
or not, in other words, Yes/No per orgunit (a province or district).
Perhaps Yes Only would be best here?

The tricky part is the time dimension: We need to produdce maps of affected
districts at regular intervals, at least monthly, possibly also more
frequent.
However, there is a lot of diversity in the data: Sometimes we have a start
and end date, sometimes just a number of months.

Currently, DHIS2 does not support one screen for multiple periods

I see two possibilities:

1) Create just one dataelement "Outbreak" as Yes Only in a monthly dataset.
Then one would have to select every affected month and say YES

2) Create two additional data elements: "Start date" and "End date" in a
YEARLY dataset. Then also write a script behind the scenes which populates
the Outbreak dataelement for the affected months - or even extend it to days

Better ideas?

--
Knut Staring
Dept. of Informatics, University of Oslo

Follow ups