Re: [Dhis2-devs] Multi-select dropdown or multi-select checkbox in tracker capture forms

Dear Knut,

Yes, I think a widget that groups a choice of data elements (Yes Only - as
indicated by Prosper and Jason) and present them in the UI as multiple
select would be great. But I am not sure how hard the implementation would
be but I guess it can be modeled with minor changes.

Alex

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 3:43 PM, Calle Hedberg <calle.hedberg@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Hi
>
> As both Prosper and Jason have confirmed, currently you have to use
> separate data elements or attributes. This might be inconvenient, in
> particular where the list of e.g. symptoms are long.
>
> I can see two scenarios here:
>
> 1.
> There might not be much demand for analysing this type of data at all -
> might be mainly descriptive data for use by e.g. clinicians (one could
> argue that counting symptoms occurrences across many diseases don't provide
> much of value, at least not on a regular reporting basis). The data element
> or attribute are then basically a free text field but with such "free" text
> either limited only to an option set or an option set + free text.
> 2.
> alternatively, you could do aggregated analysis by executing a count of
> all cases where symptoms LIKE '%Headache%' (or any combination of such
> symptom "tags") - again not currently supported I think but not complicated
> either.
>
> I think we need more specific requirements and requirement scenarios here,
> to determine the design of such enhancements.
>
> Regards
> calle
>
> On 28 September 2016 at 14:00, Jason Pickering <
> jason.p.pickering@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> The reason is has to be separate data elements is because of analytics.
>> If you have a single data element with multiple choices, there is currently
>> not a way to aggregate all of these. So lets say you have a question like
>>
>> What symptoms does the patient have?
>> a) Headache
>> b) Fever
>> c) Fatigue
>>
>> If there was some sort of UI component like you are talking about with a
>> single data element, we would need to record something like
>> Headache; Fever; Fatigue
>> in a single row in the database. When we aggregate it, well, it would not
>> be really clear how we would do this. We would need to parse out all of the
>> options and then somehow transform them into
>>
>> Headache = 2
>> Fever = 4
>> Fatigue = 5
>>
>> The of course you have more complicated situations like patients who have
>> both Fever and Fatigue.
>>
>> So, the way it has to be implemented now in DHIS2, is through a boolean
>> data element.
>>
>> Does the patient have a headache?
>> Does the patient have a fever?
>> Does the patient have fatigue?
>>
>> Aggregation becomes just a matter of counting how many of these are true.
>>
>> So, you could implement some sort of custom control do to this, but in
>> the end, you would need completely separate data elements, but maybe this
>> was not really your question, since you were asking about a UI component?
>>
>> Currently, its not there, but has been asked for several times.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Jason

> [...]

Alex Tumwesigye

Technical Advisor - DHIS2 (Consultant),
Ministry of Health/AFENET  | HISP Uganda
Kampala
Uganda
+256 774149 775, + 256 759 800161
Skype ID: talexie

IT Consultant (Servers, Networks and Security, Health Information Systems -
DHIS2, Disease Outbreak & Surveillance Systems) & Solar Consultant

"I don't want to be anything other than what I have been - one tree hill "