UID generation

Hello everyone,

I am trying to import legacy data into a new DHIS2 installation using
custom code.

While adding new entries into a database table, I need to assign new UID
values. What is the algorithm I should use to generated these IDs ? I tried
using a postgresql extension called uuid-ossp and the
function uuid_generate_v1() that comes with that extension. But it
generates uuid of the format ebe87e56-8624-11e6-a4ce-040157be4e01 and it's
bigger than what CHARACTER VARYING(11) can hold. Any idea what strategy
should I follow here to easily generate UIDs while inserting database
entries?

Thanks in advance.
- Arun Paul

Follow ups