Re: Major speed issue with pg_restore

Hi Ed

Agree with Bob; it deepens on processor, ram disc space and configuration.
You database size also not seems too big.

Now my usual db backup size is 4.8 GB (compressed) and restoring time is
usually 4 hour. Definitely something wrong with the configuration.

As I am on vacation, cannot help you much on this; might able to help you
in one week later.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards

Hannan

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 7:54 AM, Edward Robinson <
erobinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I’ve setup a new Ubuntu 16.04 box with PostgreSQL 9.5.5 and I’m restoring
> a fairly large DHIS2 backup but having speed issues.  It’s a full pg_dump
> in custom format and about 650Gb compressed (a plain text dump produces a
> 7Gb file).  I made sure inserts were turned off, so that’s not the issue,
> but so far it’s been running for 33 hours – CPU at 100% - with no end in
> sight.  This is a backup file that took 30 minutes to generate.
>

> If it is running synchronously, I calculated that it’s on around 20
> million DB rows of around 170 million after 33 hours!  Surely that’s not
> normal.
>
> I’ve tweaked PostgreSQL with the following settings:
>

> maintenance_work_mem=2GB
>
> max_wal_size = 1Gb
>
> checkpoint_timeout = 3600
>
> checkpoint_completion_target = 0.9
>

> Anyway, if anyone has insight or has had a similar experience, or
> suggestions, please let me know!
>
> I’m testing it on another (Windows) instance to see if there’s something
> amiss.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Ed

Muhammad Abdul Hannan Khan