Re: installation of DOLFIN 0.5.7 on Debian

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 08:26:17PM -0400, Faheem Mitha wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Anders Logg wrote:
>
> >I guess you have seen that we have now updated to PETSc 2.3.0...
>
> Yes, I saw the message. However, I will wait till you have released a
> stable version of DOLFIN which uses PETSc 2.3 before thinking about
> this.
>
> Do you have an estimate for when this will happen?

I'm ready to release. I'm just waiting for Rob Kirby to release a
new version of FIAT, so we can release new versions of FIAT + FFC +
DOLFIN at the same time.

My guess is tomorrow.

> For the moment, I am just trying to get the current DOLFIN version
> 0.5.7 packaged ASAP so we can try and use it.
>
> >Can you send the output from DOLFINs configure? In particular the part
> >where it says "using PETSC_DIR...".
>
> See below.
>
> >Maybe this will be useful if we decide to provide precompiled packages
> >for DOLFIN, but the best thing would be if PETSc (and DOLFIN) was
> >available directly from Debian.
>
> Agreed. The only reason I am doing packaging is that the PETSc Debian
> package is out of date, and I don't know when it will be updated. We need
> it *now*, and can't wait. Once official packages are available, that will
> be the end of packaging efforts on my part.
>
> I think it will be easy to update PETSc and DOLFIN once I have packaged
> one version.

I think so too. After the summer, we might set up some automatic
packaging scripts to create and distribute Debian packages of PETSc +
all FEniCS projects. Then your scripts might be very useful. Tell me
if you happen to create packages of FFC and FIAT.

> I am happy to send you whatever debugging information you require, but
> don't you think it would more efficient if you were to install my
> package in a chroot or something, and try to compile DOLFIN against
> it?

Yes, for you but not for me... ;-)

>From the configure output below, it looks like PETSC_DIR is set
correctly. Can you try to do the following in a shell:

    make -s -C $PETSC_DIR getincludedirs PETSC_DIR=$PETSC_DIR

Make sure you have defined PETSC_DIR first. Does this produce some
reasonable output? You should get something like

-I/usr/local/lib/petsc -I/usr/local/lib/petsc/bmake/linux-gnu -I/usr/local/lib/petsc/include

> I think you said you use Debian...

Yes.

> Just one more question. When DOLFIN was using PETSc 2.2.0, did it compile
> correctly against Powell's 2.2.0 Debian package?

Yes.

/Anders