Re: Python Error

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 09:57:00PM -0500, Andy Ray Terrel wrote:
> So I was trying to check out the new pydolfin but when I go to make the
> installation I get the following error while running ./configure:
>
> checking for Python include path... find: /usr/local/include/python2.3/:
> No such file or directory
> find: /usr/local/include/python/: No such file or directory
>
> configure: error: cannot find Python include path
>

> So I don't have access to the root folders and was wondering if there
> was someway I could redefine this check.  I don't really know much about
> the autoconf tool so I really can't read what is going on very well.
>
> Andy

Hi Andy,

I think you are simply missing the Python includes, is the file
"Python.h" anywhere on your system? If not, then you need to install
the Python development files, in Debian the package is called
"python-dev".

Otherwise I can't really see what is wrong. The path could probably be
figured out in a more clever way (the macro is in
m4/ac_python_devel.m4), but I don't see that it does anything wrong.

What does this give (in Python)?

import distutils.sysconfig
distutils.sysconfig.get_python_inc()