Re: DOLFIN-stable

Anders Logg wrote:
On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 04:11:40PM +0100, Johan Hoffman wrote:
Johan Hoffman wrote:
I think so.

I don't think a special --disable-modules will be necessary.
But we will need the following targets:

    make modules
    make modules_install

Then if one likes, one may enter into src/modules/demo and do

    make
Sounds good.

Sounds good to me too.

One problem I have is that just moving demo, bench, test for modules
into src/modules makes a very flat structure, with navierstokes at the
same level as the demo for navierstokes. Perhaps we could have

    src/modules/
    src/modules/solvers
    src/modules/solvers/navierstokes
    src/modules/solvers/elasticity
    src/modules/solvers/plasticity
    src/modules/demo
    src/modules/bench
    src/modules/test

This could open up for creating other kinds of modules that are not
necessarily solvers.
The modules seem not that specified right now, and naming a module after
certain equation may not be that good, for example since a typical
module
may be multi-physics based, or several methods may be used for solving
the
same equation. Also, I do not think the /modules/solvers level is
needed,
it should be enough with /modules. And I'm not sure that we need to have
separate level for classifying the type of modules either (flow, solid,
etc.)

I think we should have src/modules, where we today can put modules that
are maintained (navierstokes, elasticity,...), in a flat structure, and
the naming could be quite free: "fluid-structure-interaction-solver",
"fsi-flash", "heart", or whatever reasonable (where maybe not *-falsh
would qualify...).

I would like to introduce some structure just to keeps things looking
tidy. I don't mind categorising modules (flow, solid, etc). Rearranging
is only a question of "mv". To me it's just important that the modules
remain bundled together.
I just worry that there may be as many categories as modules. Maybe we
could add this categories layer later on when structures emerge, today we
do not have that many modules.

The question is: should we say "this is the DOLFIN Navier-Stokes
solver module" or should we say "here's a module that solves
Navier-Stokes and here's another one".

For the Navier-Stokes equations, the latter is preferable since there are a truck load of possibilities, which holds for a lot of other problems too.

Let's start with

  /src/modules/
  /src/modules/solvers
  /src/modules/demo

Garth

If we want to provide just one module for each equation, then we
should try to enforce some structure.