> Here is the output you asked for:
> (1)
> $ apt-cache policy libumfpack4
> libumfpack4:
>   Installed: (none)
>   Candidate: (none)
>   Version table:
> [snip]

This is odd - libumfpack4 should have been available:

http://packages.debian.org/sid/libumfpack4

# Debian Sid (unstable)
> deb http://ftp.ch.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.ch.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
>
> [snip]

I checked this repository, and the file is right there in the pool...

Please make sure that you don't get errors while running apt-get update. If
everything fails, try to download the package from the link I pasted above,
and install with dpkg -i, maybe there is some other reason it won't go in?

Btw, I think the issue with the python-versions and the debian packages is
the dh_pycentral stuff, and the XS-Python-Version variable that is set in
the control file. I'll try to tweak the parameters and see what happen. I
will try to put up a few virtual servers with debian etch and sid too, think
I have to in order to debug this...

Thanks for the tip!

--
[simula.research laboratory]