Re: Debian/Ubuntu Repositories

Hello Åsmund
I think there is a misunderstanding here: I left as a comment that I am using Debian unstable, but actually I am using testing, if you look in detail at the repositories' web addresses.
I noticed the following: for debian libumfpack4 is "there":
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/libumfpack4
but for testing something funny happens:
http://packages.debian.org/testing/libumfpack4
Now, I am finding out now about virtual packages, so I won't be much help here.
Even in stable there is a "normal" package:
http://packages.debian.org/stable/libumfpack4

If I run apt-get update, I do not get any obvious errors:
$ sudo apt-get update
Get:1 http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing Release.gpg [189B]
Ign http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing/main Translation-en_US Hit http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing Release Get:2 http://www.fenics.org unstable Release.gpg [189B] Ign http://www.fenics.org unstable/main Translation-en_US Ign http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing/main Packages/DiffIndex Hit http://www.fenics.org unstable Release Get:3 http://ftp.ch.debian.org testing Release.gpg [189B] Ign http://ftp.ch.debian.org testing/main Translation-en_US Ign http://ftp.ch.debian.org testing/contrib Translation-en_US Ign http://ftp.ch.debian.org testing/non-free Translation-en_US Ign http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing/main Sources/DiffIndex Hit http://ftp.ch.debian.org testing Release Ign http://www.fenics.org unstable/main Packages/DiffIndex Hit http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing/main Packages
Hit http://ftp.ch.debian.org testing/main Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://www.debian-multimedia.org testing/main Sources Ign http://www.fenics.org unstable/main Sources/DiffIndex Hit http://ftp.ch.debian.org testing/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.ch.debian.org testing/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.ch.debian.org testing/main Sources/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.ch.debian.org testing/non-free Sources/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.ch.debian.org testing/contrib Sources/DiffIndex
Ign http://www.fenics.org unstable/main Packages
Ign http://www.fenics.org unstable/main Sources
Hit http://www.fenics.org unstable/main Packages
Hit http://www.fenics.org unstable/main Sources
Get:4 ftp://www.gfd-dennou.org stable/ Release.gpg
Ign ftp://www.gfd-dennou.org stable/ Release.gpg
Get:5 ftp://www.gfd-dennou.org stable/ Translation-en_US
Ign ftp://www.gfd-dennou.org stable/ Translation-en_US
Hit ftp://www.gfd-dennou.org stable/ Release
Get:6 ftp://www.gfd-dennou.org stable/ Packages/DiffIndex Ign ftp://www.gfd-dennou.org stable/ Packages/DiffIndex Get:7 ftp://www.gfd-dennou.org stable/ Sources/DiffIndex Ign ftp://www.gfd-dennou.org stable/ Sources/DiffIndex Get:8 ftp://www.gfd-dennou.org stable/ Packages Ign ftp://www.gfd-dennou.org stable/ Packages Get:9 ftp://www.gfd-dennou.org stable/ Sources Ign ftp://www.gfd-dennou.org stable/ Sources Hit ftp://www.gfd-dennou.org stable/ Packages Hit ftp://www.gfd-dennou.org stable/ Sources
Fetched 3B in 12s (0B/s)
Reading package lists... Done

(I was told not to worry about the Ign messages)
However:
$ sudo apt-get install libdolfin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done
Package libdolfin is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
E: Package libdolfin has no installation candidate
iselllo@cappero:~/work/vela2007/simulations-aerosol/smoluchowsky/50km/Fuchs/copy of 5$ sudo apt-get install libdolfin-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done Package libdolfin-dev is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
E: Package libdolfin-dev has no installation candidate

I am absolutely confused...dolfin is there, but I cannot see it...
Cheers

Lorenzo

Åsmund Ødegård wrote:
Thanks.