Re: Brave souls wanted - Testing SCons build of DOLFIN

Thanks for suggestions, Anders!

On Nov 30, 2007 10:58 AM, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It looks really good and it also seems to work! Excellent.
>
> Here are some suggestions/questions for the build system.
>
> 1. I think the formatting of the error messages etc can be improved.
>
> For example, when looking for PETSc, I get the following message:
>
>   [snip]

> So, my specific suggestions are:
>
>  (i)   Use "Checking for foo... yes/no" (much like autoconf)
>  (ii)  Don't include line numbers etc in output (can be written to some
> log file)
>  (iii) Indent further messages for each package (makes it easier to read)

I managed to change into something that is close to this!

> 2. It should be possible to run the build system without installing
> simula-scons. It should be possible to add the location of
> simula-scons in the source tree to the python path and hide it from
> the user. I'd also prefer to move the directory simula-scons inside
> the scons directory.

By some simple namechanges, this is perfectly fine - in the next beta of
this you will do

export PYTHONPATH=`pwd`/scons/simula-scons:$PYTHONPATH

> 3. It should not be necessary to create a separate directory for
> pkg-config files. You could check if PKG_CONFIG_PATH is set and if so
> use it. Otherwise, create and use a suitable directory (like
> pkgconfig) under the scons directory.
>
> So the only thing a user should need to do when downloading DOLFIN
> would be to write 'scons' (no need to install packages or settings
> paths before).

This is actually more or less present already, only that it does not work so
well... I'll massage this a bit.