Re: Brave souls wanted - Testing SCons build of DOLFIN

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 05:28:15PM +0100, Åsmund Ødegård wrote:

> Thanks for suggestions, Anders!
>
> On Nov 30, 2007 10:58 AM, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>     It looks really good and it also seems to work! Excellent.
>
>     Here are some suggestions/questions for the build system.
>
>     1. I think the formatting of the error messages etc can be improved.
>
>     For example, when looking for PETSc, I get the following message:
>
>       [snip]
>

>     So, my specific suggestions are:
>
>      (i)   Use "Checking for foo... yes/no" (much like autoconf)
>      (ii)  Don't include line numbers etc in output (can be written to some log
>     file)
>      (iii) Indent further messages for each package (makes it easier to read)
>

> I managed to change into something that is close to this!

Looking forward to trying it out.

>     2. It should be possible to run the build system without installing
>     simula-scons. It should be possible to add the location of
>     simula-scons in the source tree to the python path and hide it from
>     the user. I'd also prefer to move the directory simula-scons inside
>     the scons directory.
>

> By some simple namechanges, this is perfectly fine - in the next beta of this
> you will do
>
> export PYTHONPATH=`pwd`/scons/simula-scons:$PYTHONPATH

Sounds good. The build system needs to handle both the case when the
user has simula-scons installed and the case when it's not and then
use the bundled version. Maybe at some point there could be a
try/except which tries to import simula-scons (from the system) and
otherwise picks it up from the version bundled in the source tree
(with sys.path.append("../etc").