Re: Plans

On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 08:39:03PM +0100, Åsmund Ødegård wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 8:28 PM, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 07:24:23PM +0100, Åsmund Ødegård wrote:
> >  > On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 7:21 PM, Åsmund Ødegård <aasmund@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  > > On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 5:36 PM, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  > >  [snip]
> >  > >
> >  > > >  > > This seems a bit strange. 'src' in the root-dir of dolfin is supposed
> >  > >  >  > > to be a symlink to 'dolfin'
> >  > >  >  > >
> >  > >  [snip
> >  > >
> >  > > >
> >  > >  >  Is it necessary to have the src symlink?
> >  > >  >
> >  > >  >  It hasn't been supported by hg previously (I think) so it may break.
> >  > >  >
> >  > >
> >  > >  Various places in simula_scons, it is assumed that the main sources is
> >  > >  located in src/, as the projectname is variable  (dolfin, pycc,....)
> >  > >
> >  > >  I think this is mostly a convenience, we might go ahe
> >  > > (hit send by accident...)
> >  > ahead and dig out all locations relying on this, and replace with
> >  > env["projectname"] instead.
> >
> >  ok, sounds good.
> >
> >  One thing I wonder is how changes should be made to the build system
> >  under scons?
> >
> >  I guess the changes need to take place in the simula­scons repository
> >  (wherever that may be located, I forget where it is) and then copied
> >  into the DOLFIN repository.
>
> Yes, that will be the prefered way. Right now, simula-scons is located
> at svn.simula.no, but I don't mind moving it over to fenics.org/hg for
> instance.
>
> Also, Johannes will create a debian package for simula-scons, so in
> the near future we can probably remove simula-scons from the dolfin
> tree, and just let dolfin depend on simula-scons.

What are the plans for simula-scons? If it should be a dependency for
DOLFIN, then I think it needs to be reasonably well established (having
a webpage, license, numbered releases etc). Preferably, it should come
as part of Debian... Is the plan to keep it separate from scons, or
are you trying to keep it minimal and push as much as possible into
scons?

Until DOLFIN can safely depend on simula-scons, I think we need to
include it with DOLFIN.

> >  Is it ok to make changes in the scons subdirectory, or should we
> >  rather ask you or Johannes to make the changes so that you can
> >  synchronize with simula-scons?
>
> For now, ask one of us to make changes.

ok.