Re: A minimal c++ Function test and some bugs

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 08:45:38AM +0000, A Navaei wrote:
> 2009/2/19 Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx>:

> >> Yes, we eventually want to get the image data in eval() and obviously
> >> the work around:
> >>
> >>  Function g(V);
> >>  g.vector();
> >>  _f = g;
> >>
> >> does not call eval(). I don't think if it is possible to do this
> >> without amending the Function class? The denial of changing the
> >> visibility of the member variables to protected is making this
> >> unnecessarily more and more complicated. I am attaching the updated
> >> sandbox test.
> >>

> >> -Ali
> >
> > I've already said that we can make the _function_space protected in
> > the Function class. I've done so now and also added a new
> > interpolation function. See if that helps.
>
> I should have missed that, I didn't notice the message from hg to
> dolfin-dev about this (still cannot find it). I'm afraid, while this
> would help, it's not still enough. Let's revise the design of an image
> function again:
>
> My guess is that the following constructor for ImageFunction is
> necessary and sufficient:
>
> Image image;
> FiniteElement element;
> ImageFunction v(image, element);

Why not simply

  Image image;
  ImageFunction v(image);

?

The class ImageFunction could take some optional arguments for how to
represent the function, like degree, continuous or discontinuous etc.

> The user should be able to specify the input image, and the type of
> finite element of interest. The mesh completely depends on image size
> and dimension and the user does not need to define it externally.
> DofMap is also a function of Mesh, and involving it in the constructor
> may be redundant. What do you think?

I suggest avoiding FiniteElement and DofMap. Use generated subclasses of
FunctionSpace instead.

> Another way of doing this could be by the use of an existing FunctionSpace:
>
>   UnitSquare dummy_mesh(1, 1);
>   PoissonFunctionSpace V(dummy_mesh);
>   ImageFunction v(image, V);
>
> Then, in the constructor of ImageFunction, V.element and V.dofmap can
> be used to create another FunctionSpace which has a mesh created using
> image:
>
>   ImageToFunction(Image image, const FunctionSpace& V)
>   {
>     // Create the function space
>     UnitSquare mesh(image.get_size()[0] - 1, image.get_size()[1] - 1);
>     FunctionSpace IV(mesh, V.element(), V.dofmap());
>
>     // ...
>   };
>
> The problem with this approach is that it involves the use of a dummy mesh.
>
> A mesh-independent constructor added to FunctionSpace could help.
> Alternatively, if a (protected) default (empty) constructor is added
> to FunctionSpace, ImageFunctionSpace:FunctionSpace can have a
> mesh-independent constructor. However, the FFC-generated function
> spaces, eg PoissonFunctionSpace, still need a mesh.
>
> Hope this makes the problem more clear now.

Create the mesh and the FunctionSpace subclass inside the
ImageFunction constructor. Neither the mesh nor the function space
need to be visible outside.