Re: Moving the repositories

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 10:27:33PM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> >I assume you want to move all of FEniCS over to bitbucket's service.
> >This will be quite a migration for all the different apps, but in
> >general I have been very pleased with bitbucket.  Why not switch to
> >bazaar and integrate the code with the launchpad system?
> >

> That's a possibility.
>
> Here's quick run down on pro/cons that I see. Feel free to add to it.
>
> Launchpad:
>
>   Pros:
>   Nice interface
>   Blueprints
>   We're already using it
>   Mailing lists
>   Release planning
>   Free
>
>   Cons:
>   bazaar: we'd have to learn it. Is it fast enough?

Speeds doesn't seem to be an issue anymore:

  http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/migration/en/why-switch-to-bazaar.html

> Bitbucket:
>
>   Pros:
>   Mercurial
>   Nice interface
>   Wiki
>   Simple management of ssh keys
>
>   Cons:
>   Not free. Expense is not prohibitive, but it's admin.
>   Feature planning and bugs reports are mixed up.
>
> Garth

Bazaar and Mercurial seem to have much the same features and equally
simple user interfaces.

The reason for switching to Bazaar is Launchpad, and the reason for
sticking to Mercurial is we're already using it and I feel somewhat
attached to it. But I'd be willing to give Bazaar a try.

Perhaps we should try to set up an experimental Bazaar repository for
DOLFIN to see if we can (1) import the full history and (2) there
are any advantages the launchpad integration gives us.