Re: [Question #156733]: Cannot convert from Dolfin XML mesh format

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 11:45:55AM -0000, James Avery wrote:
> New question #156733 on DOLFIN:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/dolfin/+question/156733
>
> Dear all,
>
> - It seems that I can only output meshes in the special Dolfin XML format. Is that correct?
> - It also seems that dolfin-convert can only convert to the Dolfin format, but not from it again (as far as I can see from meshconvert.py -- although the help does show options for specifying both input and output formats). Is that also correct?
>
> Does this mean that it is currently impossible to get a generated mesh into a format that can be worked with outside of FEniCS/Dolfin, for example GMSH or Metis? Or is there some other way of doing this?
>
> Thanks very much in advance!

Yes, that's true. But the good news is that writing is much easier
than reading so it would be quite easy to add this to the
dolfin-convert script. It's not something I'm going to do but anyone
else is invited to submit a patch.

Please file a bug report / feature request for this so we don't forget
about it.