Re: [Branch ~dolfin-core/dolfin/main] Rev 5907: Comment out parts of test. There is something fishy with DofMap::tabulate_coordinates and the dou...

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 09:39:17PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> On 30/05/11 21:22, Johan Hake wrote:
> > On Monday May 30 2011 12:54:14 noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >> revno: 5907
> >> committer: Garth N. Wells <gnw20@xxxxxxxxx>
> >> branch nick: dolfin-all
> >> timestamp: Mon 2011-05-30 20:52:14 +0100
> >> message:
> >>   Comment out parts of test. There is something fishy with
> >> DofMap::tabulate_coordinates and the double pointers.
> >
> > Yes you are probably right. The double** typemap might be the problem. But
> > doesn't it work for other similare situations, like set and get double**?
> >
> > It would be nice to get rid of all foo** arguments as these pose some troubles
> > for the SWIG interface. I think we discussed this wrt the ufc interface too.
> >

> I'm going to remove them. The double pointer for coords is a UFC
> bug/design flaw.

I wouldn't call it a design flaw. It was natural at the point of
designing UFC to use an array of arrays for a list of coordinates.
Designing for possible difficulties in creating SWIG typemaps was not
part of the design process.

But I agree it would be natural to replace the double pointers by
simple pointers (or perhaps even std::vector?).

But is that something we should do now before the release of 1.0?