Re: [Branch ~dolfin-core/dolfin/main] Rev 5907: Comment out parts of test. There is something fishy with DofMap::tabulate_coordinates and the dou...

On 30/05/11 22:03, Anders Logg wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 09:39:17PM +0100, Garth N. Wells wrote:

>>> Yes you are probably right. The double** typemap might be the problem. But
>>> doesn't it work for other similare situations, like set and get double**?
>>>
>>> It would be nice to get rid of all foo** arguments as these pose some troubles
>>> for the SWIG interface. I think we discussed this wrt the ufc interface too.
>>>

>> I'm going to remove them. The double pointer for coords is a UFC
>> bug/design flaw.
>
> I wouldn't call it a design flaw. It was natural at the point of
> designing UFC to use an array of arrays for a list of coordinates.
> Designing for possible difficulties in creating SWIG typemaps was not
> part of the design process.

I'd call it a flaw (as does Martin). It imposes significant constraints
on the user. See

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ufc/+bug/787405

UFC uses plain pointers for other square arrays.

> But I agree it would be natural to replace the double pointers by
> simple pointers (or perhaps even std::vector?).

I suggest a plain pointer in UFC since this provides maximum
flexibility. My intention is to use boost::multi_array in the DOLFIN
interface.

> But is that something we should do now before the release of 1.0?

Why not? Even if we don't get it working in Python, it's not working
properly anyway.

Garth