Re: Removal of constructor Function(V, x)?

On 11/22/2011 09:55 PM, Anders Logg wrote:
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 08:45:30PM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:

On 21 Nov 2011, at 21:53, "Marie E. Rognes"<meg@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

On 21. nov. 2011, at 21:52, Anders Logg<logg@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 08:46:13PM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:
On 21 November 2011 13:07, Anders Logg<logg@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 11:55:43PM +0100, Anders Logg wrote:
On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 11:49:42PM +0100, Marie E. Rognes wrote:

On 20. nov. 2011, at 23:31, Anders Logg<logg@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Is anyone using the Function constructor that takes a vector as input
argument?

Function u(V, x);

Yes.
Does it work? In parallel?

Does it not work to instead use

  x = u.vector()

?

If you need it, we should keep it but add an error message that it
doesn't work in parallel, unless it does...
Any more input on this? There are several options:

1. Remove this constructor

2. Throw an error when running in parallel

3. Check that the input vector makes sense

The last one is problematic since I don't see an easy way to perform
the check, other than calling get_local and having it fail.

I haven't heard any reason why it can't be removed. We may need to fix
assignment (re earlier discussion on assign) to just copy values and
not the whole object so that a user can get the vector and then assign
values to it without messing up the ghosting.
Sounds good, but I want to wait for Marie to comment before I remove
it. She is using it.

Marie? Does it work for you to use x = u.vector()?

Probably. However removing the constructor would be changing parts of the basic interface, which I think is a bad idea.

Add a warning if you want to deprecate it later.

Isn't the time to make an interface change now rather than later?

I would say that the time to make an interface change before
1.0 has passed: I see more value in sticking to
to what we have claimed, than in fixing this single instance.

True, but last time we discussed this was 1 hour or so before the
release of 1.0-rc1. Now we have a whole week to 1.0-rc2... :-)

Marie, can you check again if that constructor is necessary?

I'm typically using it for the same as the dolfin la/eigenvalue demo is using it for.
Do you have a replacement syntax available?

That said, I'm not going to lose any sleep over this.

--
Marie