Re: [Fenics] Deadline for merge of development branches

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 04:04:27PM +0000, Florian Rathgeber wrote:
> On 26/03/13 15:55, Garth N. Wells wrote:
> > On Tuesday, 26 March 2013, David Ham wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I imagine that Florian will have something to say about this, but
> > the ffc pyop2 branch may be an issue here. lp:~mapdes/ffc/pyop2
> >

> > This may be fine because I don't believe that we're planning to
> > prune/rewrite the FFC history at this stage (I think that it's
> > required, but it's easier to delay until later compared to the
> > DOLFIN repo). We need Florian to tell us if this will work.
>
> As I mentioned earlier there is also the route of importing the
> feature branch into the non-filtered repository (where the marks files
> are "intact") and then transplanting the branch (with all its history
> etc.) to the rewritten repository via a git rebase. It's a bit more
> laborious and you should know what you're doing, but I've done it
> before. We've rewritten both the OP2 and the PyOP2 repositories
> halfway through the project. It's just not something I would want to
> ask a git novice to do by themselves.

I would say it's up to you. I don't care much about the history of
feature branches and no one else has indicated that it is important to
provide a route for converting feature branches. So if it is important
to the ffc/pyop2 branch, I can follow your instructions.

But I would assume that requires merging the ffc/pyop2 branch *now*,
before the conversion, and it might not be ready?

For the FFC branch, I would like to strip out all the old .h reference
files. Then add them back again right after the conversion.