Re: b5490da68: Support running compatibility tests without discovery.

AFAIK nose is still canonical, since it's what's in the Makefile. I'm fine
with this provided:
-if no git is installed, tests are still skipped rather than failed
-you rewrite the 'check' make target such that it doesn't run the non-compat
tests twice.

A nice-to-have would be a 'check-nocompat' or similar make target. I for one
do things like run the tests on a bunch of sequential patches, and it's nice
when those take 1s each rather than 10s.