Re: b5490da68: Support running compatibility tests without discovery.

On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 15:36 -0600, Augie Fackler wrote:
> https://github.com/jelmer/dulwich/commit/b5490da68052e33b904e32c04f2aef140c8bcb45
>
> This means that nose will no longer skip these tests by default, which
> we had historically (as I understood things, anyway) wanted. Is nose no
> longer the canonical way of running tests? I thought we didn't want to
> support test runners without discovery support? (I thought unittest2
> supported discovery...)
The main reason the compatibility tests were separate was so it wasn't
necessary to have C git installed to run the dulwich test suite. In
trunk we now skip those tests if C git is not available, or not of the
right version.

It is still possible to exclude the compat tests if you need to (why
would you?) by using the -e option to nose. FWIW, I don't use nose
myself, but it seems to be test runner that's most widely used, which is
why the Makefile sets TESTRUNNER to nosetests by default.

I like having a single place where we declare the tests to run, rather
than relying on whatever a test runner happens find. nose doesn't appear
to find doc tests, for example.

With that commit it's also possible to use the test suite when discovery
is not available, without needing to use unittest2 (which is only
packaged for fairly recent Linux distributions).

Cheers,

Jelmer