Re: [RFC/PATCH] Provide an app_factory entry point for serving via Paster

Hi David,

On Fri, 2011-03-11 at 01:00 -0500, David Blewett wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 4:31 PM, David Blewett <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I completely understand; I put it there so as to be as small a change
> > as possible. Maybe a separate module named serving.py or even as
> > specific as paster.py ?
>
> After talking with Jelmer on IRC, he thought it would be good to move
> this to a contrib/paster.py file.
>
> The attached patch moves the make_paster_app from dulwich.web to
> dulwich.contrib.paster.make_app, as well as adds 2 new filter factory
> functions for the gzip filter and length-limited input filter.
>
> It applies on top of the gzipfilter-v3 patch in the traceback thread.
> I've pushed both of these changes to my github fork:
> https://github.com/davidblewett/dulwich
Sorry for taking so long to follow up. I'm keen to see this land but
there are a couple of remaining issues:

This seems to use a logger object that's not declared anywhere, when
e.g. the repository can't be found.

I had contrib/ in mind rather than dulwich/contrib, so that the paster
app doesn't get installed, as is it is untested. The setup.py change
also breaks compatibility with distutils.

Alternatively, perhaps we should look at making it dulwich.paster (or
dulwich.web.paster ? ) but also adding some unit tests, etc and keeping
setuptools optional.

Can you add a license/copyright header to paster.py ?

Cheers,

Jelmer